Wednesday, January 28, 2009

flying south

I'm about ready to head south. For real. I'm done with this winter, this subzero weather, the snow, the needing a space heater in my office so I don't freeze while I write my sermon.

So I'm flying south. To New Orleans. In a little more than 12 hours. And it's going to be GREAT!

And it's for work!

I will be attending the ELCA Youth Ministry Network Extravaganza, an annual event held in various cities for youth ministry workers in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. It's an opportunity to network, to attend different workshops, hear speakers and listen to bands that are actually somewhat affordable, and this year it gives us an opportunity to scope out New Orleans which is where the ELCA National Youth Gathering is being held in July.

So I go from having never been to New Orleans ever, to being there two times this year. Kinda crazy.

Some of my best friends in the entire world will be attending this event, as well, and so I'll get the chance to hang out with them! Of course, that's secondary to all of the learning that I'll be doing there. Of course it is...

For once, all of my laundry is done, my bags are packed and I am ready to go before 5 minutes before I need to leave. Normally I'm yanking clothes from the dryer before they're completely dry and shoving them in my bag as I run out the door. But this time I was ahead of the game. I started laundry YESTERDAY! And they said I couldn't be taught!

So I have completely dry clothes in my bag, and I went entirely against my nature and made a list of the things I thought I'd need and so they are all packed, as well. My bags are sitting in the middle of the floor, waiting for me to zip them up and put them in the car. Then I'm driving to stay with some friends before we have to be at the airport around 4am tomorrow morning to head south. I think my mind is already basking in the southern sun in the Big Easy.

But I can't leave yet. I have to go over for our 5th and 6th grade Wednesday night pre-confirmation classes, and then I have a meeting about our summer mission and National Youth Gathering trips. But as soon as those are done, I am ON! MY! WAY!

oh, and i'm excited about it. in case you didn't know.

1 comment:

  1. Oh SURE, Mark. I'm beginning to feel slighted, since you blew off the extravaganza last year when it was being held practically in my backyard. :p

    Have a great time in NOLA!

    ReplyDelete