Tuesday, February 3, 2009

so, there's a new one, then?

I led worship at the local nursing home today. It started off on a good note because we were moved into an actual room of our own today! The home has been under some construction, and so the past many, many months we've been shoved into one corner of this day room that is often quite full of other residents going about their business. One day, while I was in the middle of things, two aides came in pushing a car full of towels and proceeded to stock the shelves behind me. In the middle of worship! But, anyway, we were in a new room all by ourselves today in the newly remodeled section of the home. And this was nice.

When we lead worship, we bring this box to carry the wafers and wine for communion, as well as the binders for worship. These binders are large print and have the confession, Apostles' Creed and several hymns in them. Most of the hymns are old favorites, and so many of the residents don't even need the binders and they don't use them much.

One of the songs I like to sing quite often is "What a Friend We Have in Jesus." It's familiar, easy to sing, the people know it and like it, so it works out well for all of us. But when I lead it, I often have to suppress a giggle. You see, there's a line in the song that says, "Precious Savior, still our refuge..." Except there's a typo, and so instead it says "Previous Savior, still our refuge..."

Like I said, most of the people don't use the binders (though they're conditioned with their years of hymnal use and will still open to the correct pages) and so they don't notice the typo. But I follow along in the binder, just to make sure I get the right words, and so I see this typo every time.

And I can't help but wonder, if we have a Previous Savior, does that mean we have another one who is our Current Savior? And, if we do, then why is this Previous one still our refuge?

in case you couldn't tell... i'm joking.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Mark! If you would like your new blog in the RGBP ring, would you shoot me an email? revsongbird@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete