Wednesday, March 11, 2009

i never was a big fan of the teeter totter

On the playground, I was never a big fan of the teeter totter. I preferred to run around and play active games. The idea of sitting on the end of a plank and bouncing up and down, up and down, up and down was never high on my list of priorities. I had too much energy and too many places to be and too many people to talk to and I didn't want to spend any of my recess time rising and falling.

Now I'm much older and I don't see very many teeter totters anymore. But, even if I did, I probably still wouldn't use them. Besides my height, which takes away a lot of the intended fun of a teeter totter, many of my reasons are the same. To me, the idea of rising and falling and rising and falling and rising and falling... is not that appealing.

And that goes doubly so with this weather.

We've had a long and cold winter. Now, as spring is approaching, we've had several days that were warmer and nicer. There were days I went outside with no coat, and even days I considered wearing shorts. They were days that were full of the promise of spring, when we were on the high end of the teeter totter.

But then, these days have been followed by cold weather and more snow. Right when it seemed like my yard might be finally free of snow, the warm weather and sunshine doing it's best to melt all of it, we'd get dumped on again and my yard would be a barren tundra once more.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't hate the snow and cold weather. If I did, then I don't think I'd be living here in Minnesota. I like snow, and am a fan of winter activities. The thing that I don't like is this teeter totter weather. If you want to be cold, then stay cold. Don't tease us with these warm days only to snatch them away and cover us with more snow. I say give us the warm days when you're ready to keep going with the warm days and stop with the cold days. This whole teeter totter business is just no good.

But I'm consistently reminded that I am not in charge of the weather. Try as I might, there is nothing I can do to make it do what I want it to. Spring will eventually come, and that will lead into a beautiful (and much longed for) summer. But, until then, I imagine I'll have to put up with a couple more rises and falls of the teeter totter... regardless of how I feel about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment